Update June 01, 2010: Please note that this Toolkit has been superceded by the Bing Search Library for PHP
The Bing Search Library for PHP is different that this toolkit in the following ways:
There are no plans to continue to maintain the Bing 404 Web Page Error Toolkit for PHP.
- It is a generic Bing library and can be used for any Bing Search scenario (404 or otherwise)*
For large web sites with extensive amounts of content, 2 to 10 percent of traffic is looking for pages that either don’t exist or have been moved. Most web servers return a generic 404 error page or a sitemap when a user’s desired page cannot be found. These unhelpful pages often result in a dead end for users. With the Bing 404 Web Page Error Toolkit for PHP Developers, you can create dynamic 404 pages that contain customized error messages along with search results from Microsoft’s Bing Search Engine seeded with relevant keywords to help your users move past the missing page and find the information they need. The Toolkit is a customizable PHP application that replaces the default error page on your IIS or Apache web servers with Bing search results based on keywords derived from the URL requested by the user.
- A user's browser sends a request for a page that no longer exists at the request URL.
- Your server identifies a 404 and executes the Toolkit.
- Toolkit extracts keywords and renders them back to the user's browser.
- User's browser sends a request to Bing API.
- Bing API returns appropriate results to user's browser.
- User's browser renders results in the context of the page that you have customized.
The Toolkit enables you to use the Bing API to return results for the specified domain and locale, control the number of results returned on your page, choose whether to offer spelling corrections, and customize your error message.
For complete documentation please refer to the /doc
folder after unziipping the downloaded package.